Skip to main content

Rural Project Examples: Chronic respiratory conditions

Evidence-Based Examples

Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
Updated/reviewed October 2017
  • Need: To help people with chronic conditions learn how to manage their health.
  • Intervention: A small-group 6-week workshop for individuals with chronic conditions to learn skills and strategies to manage their health.
  • Results: Participants have better health and quality of life, including reduction in pain, fatigue, and depression.

Effective Examples

funded by the Health Resources Services Administration New Mexico Mobile Screening Program for Miners
Updated/reviewed December 2017
  • Need: To increase access to medical screening for miners in New Mexico.
  • Intervention: A mobile screening clinic with telemedicine capability screens miners for respiratory and other conditions.
  • Results: In a recent survey, 92% of miners reported their care as very good, while the other 8% reported it as good. Since 1989, the program has served 6,685 miners.
Children's Mercy Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology Telemedicine
Added August 2017
  • Need: To increase access to an allergy/asthma/immunology specialist for children in rural Kansas and Missouri.
  • Intervention: Children's Mercy Kansas City offers a telemedicine option for allergy/asthma/immunology visits.
  • Results: In 2017, Children's Mercy had 338 encounters from patients in rural counties. Patients and their families report satisfaction with the telemedicine visits, which a six-month study found to be as effective as in-person visits.

Other Project Examples

Community-Based Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program
Added November 2017
  • Need: More evidenced-based chronic lower respiratory disease management options for rural Appalachia patients, where lung disease rates are among the highest in the country.
  • Intervention: Implementation of outpatient pulmonary rehabilitation programs in 2 Federally Qualified Health Centers and a Critical Access Hospital in West Virginia.
  • Results: Improved health outcomes for patients with chronic lower respiratory disease, including those with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
COPD Re-admission Prevention Program
Added November 2017
  • Need: Organized effort targeting COPD patients’ medical needs in order to prevent hospital readmission in Zanesville, Ohio.
  • Intervention: Creation of an integrated system model using nurse navigators that incorporates evidence-based chronic disease care management approaches to COPD care.
  • Results: Improved readmission rates and overall improved acute and chronic care for the area’s COPD patients.
funded by the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy Connecting the Chronically Ill
Updated/reviewed August 2017
  • Need: Baker County, Florida, had many residents living with chronic illnesses and limited access to healthcare services.
  • Intervention: Connecting the Chronically Ill was started to provide Baker County's most vulnerable, chronically ill residents with medical services and health education.
  • Results: The program provided services to almost 400 residents and health education to nearly 900 residents, and it helped reform the area's judicial system for inmates with substance abuse and mental health issues.
Kansas Asthma Initiative
Updated/reviewed August 2017
  • Need: Many of Kansas's rural residents have low incomes and are medically underserved, putting them at a potential increased risk for uncontrolled asthma.
  • Intervention: The Kansas Asthma Initiative is a partnership that provides education and professional development opportunities via telehealth for healthcare providers and caregivers of asthma patients.
  • Results: The partnership has developed a better methodology for working with physicians. Telehealth technology is helping facilitate a positive collaboration among providers in Kansas in order to decrease the burden of asthma.