Texas Small Towns Environment Program (STEP)
The Texas Small Towns Environment Program (STEP) provides funds for water and sewer infrastructure improvements utilizing self-help methods and volunteerism.
Communities can use this program to capitalize on the community's own resources, reducing overall project costs. The community must provide local volunteer labor and available material resources, such as equipment, in order to demonstrate a 40% cost saving off the retail construction price of the water or sewer project. Overall construction and implementation must be performed predominately by community volunteer workers.
Eligible activities include:
- Acquisition of real property related to the installation of water and sewer systems or improvements
- Ancillary repairs related to the installation of water and sewer systems or improvements
- Installation of facilities to provide first-time water or sewer service
- Installation of water or sewer system improvements
- Plumbing improvements associated with providing water or sewer service to a housing unit
- Reasonable associated administrative costs
- Reasonable associated engineering services costs
- Sewer or water taps and water meters
- Water or sewer connection fees
- Water or sewer house service connections
- Water or sewer yard service lines
Eligible applicants are non-entitlement cities with populations less than 50,000 and non-entitlement counties that have a non-metropolitan population under 200,000 and are not eligible to participate in the entitlement portion of the federal Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG).
Up to $350,000.
Applicants must submit a letter of interest and funds will be dispersed on a first-come, first-serve basis each year until all available funds are obligated. The funder will evaluate projects and invite selected communities to submit a full proposal. Evaluation criteria is listed in the application instructions.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.