Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG)
The Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) program is designed to enhance the health and safety of public and firefighting personnel and to provide support for emergency responders regarding fire, medical, and all hazard events.
Funds may be used for:
- Operations and safety activities such as:
- Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Wellness and fitness programs
- Modifications to facilities
- Vehicle acquisition
- Joint/regional interoperability projects
Eligible applicants are:
- Fire departments and nonaffiliated EMS organizations operating in any of the 50 states, plus the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the US Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any federally-recognized Indian tribe or authorized tribal organization
- Any State Fire Training Academy operating in any of the 50 states, plus the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the US Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
Award Ceiling: $3,450,000
Total Funding Available: $310,500,000
Expected Number of Awards: 2,500
A cost share of up to 15% is required based on the population of the jurisdiction served.
Program guidance and application assistance tools are available on the program website.
Submit the application through the AFG eGrants portal. The application system and related websites may have issues with any browser other than Internet Explorer (IE 6 or higher).
Each FEMA region has specialists who can provide assistance to applicants. Regional contacts may be found on the AFG contact information page.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.