AAMC Spencer Foreman Award for Outstanding Community Service
This award honors Association of American Medical Colleges member institutions with a longstanding, major institutional commitment to addressing community needs. The award recognizes programs that go beyond the traditional role of academic medicine and reach communities whose needs are not being met through the traditional health delivery system.
The award is not intended to honor any one specialized service program or individual, but rather to recognize instances where a broad-based collaboration has developed between the nominee and the community served.
Examples of the types of programs appropriate for consideration include, but are not limited to:
- Innovative programs of patient care/service to disadvantaged communities
- Programs of education targeted at increasing the participation of traditionally underrepresented groups in the health professions
- Leadership focusing medical center and community resources to respond to health needs such as prevention and health education, patient care, and social and supportive services
- Programs aimed at providing students with educational experiences in underserved areas to encourage eventual practice in such communities
- Programs developed to meet the needs of isolated communities
- Programs that use the unique assets and resources of the medical center to address continuing educational, economic, and/or systemic community problems
- Programs that address social needs in a medical context
AAMC member institutions may apply. The award recipient must have a broad-based, continuing commitment to community service as reflected in a variety of programs and initiatives which are responsive to community and social needs and which show evidence of a true partnership with the community.
The award, a commemorative crystal piece honoring the institution's extraordinary social commitment, will be presented at Learn Serve Lead 2018 in Austin, Texas. All finalists will be recognized at the annual Awards dinner.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.