Justice and Mental Health Collaboration Program
This program provides funding for states, tribes, and local governments to plan, implement or expand a criminal justice and mental health collaboration program. This will allow for a comprehensive response for people with mental illnesses and co-occurring substance use disorders. Applications must describe how the proposed program will address opioid abuse reduction.
There are 3 categories of grants supported under the Justice and Mental Health Collaboration Program grant program.
- Category 1: Collaborative county approaches to reducing the prevalence of individuals with mental disorders in jail: Grantees awarded Category 1 awards will demonstrate a system-wide coordinated approach to safely reduce the prevalence of individuals with mental disorders in local jails.
- Category 2: Strategic planning for law enforcement and mental health collaboration: Grantees awarded Category 2 awards will design their community’s law enforcement mental health collaboration strategy to improve responses to, and connections to services for, people with mental health and co-occurring disorders.
- Category 3: Implementation and expansion: Grantees awarded Category 3 awards will implement targeted mental health and justice system interventions to address the needs of individuals with mental disorders or expand upon well-established mental health and justice system collaboration strategies to address the needs of individuals with mental health disorders and to improve public safety.
Specific project deliverables under each category are provided in the application instructions.
Eligible applicants include:
- Units of local government
- Federally recognized tribes
- Tribal organizations
- Category 1 awards:
- Award ceiling: $300,000 for jurisdictions with populations fewer than 100,000
- Project period: 2 years
- Category 2 awards:
- Award ceiling: $100,000
- Project period: 1 year
- Category 3 awards:
- Award ceiling: $750,000
- Project period: 3 years
- Estimated number of awards: 38
- Estimated total program funding: $10,000,000
- Required match: 20%
Links to the full announcement and the electronic application are available on grants.gov.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.