Distance Learning and Telemedicine Program Grants
The Distance Learning and Telemedicine (DLT) Program provides grants to encourage and improve telemedicine and distance learning services in rural areas through the use of telecommunications, computer networks, and related advanced technologies to be used by students, teachers, medical professionals, and rural residents.
Grants are for projects where the benefit is primarily delivered to end users that are not at the same location as the source of the education or healthcare service.
Grant funds may be used to:
- Acquire equipment and other capital assets:
- Broadband transmission facilities
- Audio, video, and interactive video equipment
- Terminal and data terminal equipment
- Computer hardware, network components, and software
- Inside wiring and similar infrastructure that further DLT services
- Acquire instructional programming
- Acquire technical assistance and instruction for using eligible equipment
According to a USDA press release, Distance Learning and Telemedicine grant program applicants will receive priority for telemedicine projects with the primary purpose of providing opioid prevention, treatment, or recovery services.
Eligible applicants include entities that provide education or healthcare through telecommunications, including:
- State and local government entities
- Federally-recognized tribes
- Nonprofit organizations
- For-profit businesses
- Consortia of eligible entities
Award ceiling: $500,000
Award floor: $50,000
A 15% match is required.
Links to additional guidance, forms, and resources are available on the program website.
Applications may be submitted electronically through grants.gov.
Hard copy applications may be submitted to:
Attention: Deputy Assistant Administrator
Office of Loan Origination and Approval Division
Rural Utilities Service
1400 Independence Ave., SW
STOP 1597, Room 2844
Washington, D.C. 20250-1597
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.