Research to Improve Native American Health (R01 and R21)
Application: May 14, 2019
This opportunity provides grants for exploratory developmental research to improve Native American health, including:
- Conducting secondary analysis of existing data
- Merging various sources of data to answer critical research questions
- Conducting pilot and feasibility studies
- Assessing and validating measures that are being developed and/or adapted for use in Native American communities
- Be culturally appropriate and result in promoting the adoption of healthy lifestyles
- Improve behaviors and social conditions and/or improve environmental conditions related to chronic disease
- Prevent or reduce the consumption of tobacco, alcohol, and other drugs
- Improve mental health outcomes
- Reduce risk of HIV infection
- Improve treatment adherence and/or healthcare systems adopting standards of care to improve overall quality of life
R01 funding supports discrete, specified, circumscribed research projects.
R21 funding encourages new, exploratory, and developmental research projects by providing support for the early stages of project development.
Eligible applicants include
- State, county, city, township, or special district governments
- Independent school districts
- Public and private institutions of higher education
- Federally or state recognized tribal governments
- Public and Indian housing authorities
- Native American tribal organizations
- Nonprofits with or without 501(c)(3) status
- For-profit organizations and small businesses
R01 application budgets are not limited, but need to reflect the actual needs of the proposed project.
For R21 projects, the combined budget for direct costs for the 2 year project period may not exceed $275,000. No more than $200,000 may be requested in any single year.
Note that there are several CFDA numbers assigned to this program.
- 93.113 - Environmental health
- 93.242 - Mental health research
- 93.273 - Alcohol research
- 93.279 - Drug abuse and addiction research
- 93.307 - Minority health and health disparities research
- 93.393 - Cancer cause and prevention research
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.