Skip to main content

Recovery Housing in Rural Communities

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, USDA Rural Housing Service
Applications accepted on an ongoing basis

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) have partnered to coordinate efforts to sell single-family housing properties owned by USDA at a discount to nonprofit organizations that provide housing, treatment, job training, and other key services for people in substance misuse treatment and recovery. Nonprofit organizations will be able to purchase homes from USDA and convert them to transitional housing for people recovering from opioid and other substance use disorders.


Nonprofit organizations

Geographic coverage
Amount of funding

Nonprofit organizations may purchase single-family housing properties owned by USDA at a discount.

Application process

Begin the process by contacting the appropriate USDA State Office. The State Office will be able to advise nonprofit organizations about local USDA owned properties and how to access the discount for use as recovery housing.

Tagged as
Housing and homelessness · Human services · Substance abuse

For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.