E-learning Program: Improving Cultural Competency for Behavioral Health Professionals
This is a 5-hour on demand e-learning program to help behavioral health professionals increase their cultural and linguistic competency.
The 4 course series includes:
- Introduction to cultural and linguistic competency
- Increasing self-awareness
- Increasing awareness of client cultural identity
- Culturally and linguistically appropriate interventions and services
Learning objectives include:
- Describe how culture, cultural identity, and intersectionality are related to behavioral health and behavioral healthcare
- Describe the principles of cultural competency and cultural humility
- Discuss how bias, power, and privilege can affect the therapeutic relationship
- Discuss ways to learn more about a client's cultural identity
- Describe how stereotypes and microaggressions can affect the therapeutic relationship
- Explain how culture and stigma can influence help-seeking behaviors
- Describe how communication styles can differ across cultures
- Identify strategies to reduce bias during assessment and diagnosis
- Explain how to elicit a client's explanatory model
The courses are designed for behavioral health professionals that are interested in cultural and linguistic competency and improving the quality of care provided to clients from diverse backgrounds.
The program is accredited for:
- 5 contact hours for:
- Licensed alcohol and drug counselors
- 4 contact hours for social workers
- A Statement of Participation for other professionals
This training is provided at no cost.
Choose the Begin button from the program website to get started.
To receive training credit:
- Register on the Think Cultural Health website
- Review the individual modules
- Obtain a minimum post-test score of 80%
- Complete the course evaluation
- Certificates and statements of credit will sent to the participant's computer.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.