Montana Meadowlark Initiative
The Meadowlark Initiative provides Funding and technical assistance to implement a coordinated, team-based approach that improves outcomes for women with substance use disorders and mental illness. The Initiative will support at least one prenatal practice in each Montana community that has a hospital that delivers babies. Family practitioners, obstetricians, midwives, and rural hospitals are encouraged to apply.
The overall goals of the initiative are to:
- Improve maternal outcomes
- Reduce newborn drug exposure, neonatal abstinence syndrome, and perinatal complications
- Keep families together and children out of foster care
Required project elements include:
- Establish a clinical care team that includes a medical provider, behavioral health provider, and care coordinator
- Develop partnerships and a defined referral pattern with other practices in the community so that most prenatal patients in the community are screened for substance use disorders and mental illness, and those that would benefit from integrated care are referred
- Develop collaborations among the clinical team, child protective services, public health and home visiting programs, criminal justice, and other agencies as appropriate
- Using a standardized screening tool and care coordination and collaboration with local organizations, help address common needs such as transportation, housing, and food insecurity
- Develop and promote a supportive approach that engages women and increases participation in prenatal care and substance use disorder treatment
- Implement screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment for pregnant women
- Develop a strong collaboration with the appropriate tribal or urban Indian health centers if caring for a substantial number of American Indian families
Eligible applicants are prenatal practices in Montana communities that have a hospital that delivers babies.
Award ceiling: $150,000
Project period: 24 months
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.