Research to Improve Native American Health (R01 and R21 Clinical Trial Optional)
This program provides grants to support health promotion, disease prevention, treatment, or treatment services research to improve health in Native American populations. For the purposes of this program, Native Americans include Alaska Natives, American Indians (whose ancestral lands fall at least partially within the U.S. mainland border), and Native Hawaiians.
Applications may include:
- Etiologic research where there is a significant gap in knowledge that will directly inform intervention development or adaptations
- Research to develop and pilot test new or adapted interventions for feasibility, acceptability, and scalability
- Research to test the short-term efficacy of interventions
- Where a sufficient body of knowledge on intervention efficacy exists, research on strategies to overcome barriers to the adoption, integration, scale-up, and sustainability of effective interventions
There are two funding opportunities under this program:
- R21 Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant for the development of new research activities in the early and conceptual stages
- R01 Research Project Grant that supports a discrete project to be performed by an investigator in an area representing the investigator's specific interest and competencies
Specific areas of research interest by national institute are listed in the respective application instructions.
Eligible applicants include:
- Higher education institutions
- Public/state controlled institutions
- Private institutions
- Nonprofit organizations
- With 501(c)(3) status
- Without 501(c)(3) status
- Native American tribal organizations
- Faith-based or community-based organizations
- Regional organizations
- City or township
- Special districts
- Federally recognized Indian/Native American tribal governments
- Indian/Native American tribal governments (other than federally recognized)
- Eligible agencies of the federal government
- U.S. territory or possession
- Independent school districts
- Public housing authorities
- Indian housing authorities
- Small businesses
- For-profit organizations
R21: The combined budget for direct costs for the 2 year project period may not exceed $275,000. No more than $200,000 in direct costs may be requested in any single year.
R01: Project budgets are not limited but need to reflect the actual needs of the proposed project. The maximum project period is 5 years.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.