American Rescue Plan Act Emergency Native Language Funding Opportunity Announcement
This opportunity provides emergency awards to ensure the survival and continuing vitality of Native American languages during and after the COVID-19 public health emergency. The overall goal of the program is for languages to serve as protective factors for Indigenous communities, enhancing mental health and lowering suicide rates.
Proposed projects may focus on:
- Resources and documentation such as language instruction modules, recordings, transcribing, curriculum development, and dictionary building
- Instruction such as teacher training, professional development, and master-apprentice relationships
- Technology and infrastructure such as computers and devices, internet enhancements, and IT networking
- Planning such as surveys, community readiness or interest assessments, strategic planning
- Elder or intergenerational engagement such as elder language instruction, elder storytelling, and elder speaker recordings
Eligible applicants include:
- Federally recognized Native American tribal governments
- Tribes Federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA)
- Incorporated state-recognized tribes
- Tribal designees, including:
- Incorporated nonprofit multi-purpose community-based Indian organizations
- Nonprofit Native organizations in Alaska with village-specific projects
- Incorporated nonprofit Alaska Native multipurpose, community-based organizations
- Tribal colleges and universities
Award ceiling: $95,000
Award floor: $37,000
Project period: Up to 3 years
Estimated number of awards: 200-500
Estimated total program funding: $19,000,000
Award amounts will depend upon the number of acceptable applications received and funding availability.
Links to the full announcement and online application process are available through grants.gov. The application instructions will be found on the related documents tab.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.