Rural Health Information Technology Workforce Curriculum Resources
Here you will find a complete inventory of curriculum resources, including detailed course descriptions and training materials, developed by Federal Office of Rural Health Policy (FORHP) Rural Health Information Technology (HIT) Workforce Program grantees.
The grantees' training programs were designed to ensure that others could build on their curricula, helping to seed additional health IT training programs at rural serving community colleges.
How to Use the Rural Health IT Workforce Curriculum Resources
These resources can be used as examples for rural and rural-serving community, vocation, and technical colleges that wish to offer similar trainings in their educational institutions. Educators are encouraged to use and adapt the information provided.
What Is Included
The programs used the ONC Health IT Curriculum Focus Areas in their course development. The six focus areas include:
- Practice Workflow and Information Management Redesign Specialist
- Clinical/Practitioner Consultants
- Technical/Software Support
- Implementation Manager
- Implementation Support Specialists
In addition to course development, some grantees included information on the requirements for their individual required Apprenticeship Training Programs.
Courses may serve as preparation for health IT certifications:
- CAHIMS (Certified Associate in Healthcare Information and Management Systems), Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society
- CEHRS (Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist), National Healthcareer Association
- CHTS (Certified Healthcare Technology Specialist), including Practice Workflow and Information Management Redesign (PW), Clinical/Practitioner Consultant (CP), Technical/Software Support (TS), Implementation Manager (IM), Implementation Support Specialist (IS), and Trainer (TR) Specializations, American Health Information Management Association
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder), American Academy of Professional Coders
- CPEHR (Certified Professional in Electronic Health Records), Health IT Certification
- CPHIMS (Certified Professional in Healthcare Information and Management Systems), Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society
- CPHIT (Certified Professional in Health Information Technology), Health IT Certification
- RHIT (Registered Health Information Technician), American Health Information Management Association