Montgomery County Health Department
- Project Title: Western Appalachian Kentucky Healthcare Access Consortium or “The Bridge/El Puente” Program
- Grant Period: 05/01/2012-04/30/2015
- Program Representative Interviewed: Gina Brien
- Location: Mt. Sterling, KY
- Program Overview: The Montgomery County Health Department developed the Western Appalachian Kentucky Healthcare Access Consortium to provide primary care, dental, and mental health services to clients diagnosed with or at risk for chronic diseases, including diabetes. This program, called The Bridge, uses community health workers to provide outreach and case management services to residents of Montgomery County, with a special emphasis on the Latino population. The CHWs work to reduce and eliminate barriers to care, including language, transportation, the ability to navigate the healthcare system, and cultural competency among health care providers thus leading to improved health outcomes.
Read more about the Western Appalachian Kentucky Healthcare Access Consortium in RHIhub's Rural Health Models and Innovations.
Models Represented by this program: