Social Determinants of Health
The social determinants of health are the
…conditions in the places where people live, learn, work, and play that affect a wide range of health risks and outcomes.
These factors influence an individual's ability to stay healthy. Rural residents experience a unique set of contributing social factors that impact their health. Social determinants of health are important to determining individual well-being and quality of life. Creating partnerships with organizations to address social determinants of health is vital to the well-being of people with disabilities in rural communities.
Examples of social determinants that affect the health and well-being of a person with disabilities are:
- Employment opportunities, non-discriminatory work environments, and equal pay
- Accessibility to education and educational attainment
- Accessibility of affordable, nutritious food
- Housing that is accessible, clean, and safe
- Accessible community groups and social support
- Ability to participate in daily life
- Health literacy