Implementing a program that requires technology also requires a certain level of infrastructure such as:
- Funding to pay for the technology
- Appropriate routers and receivers that can handle video and voice conferencing or other technological needs
- Space to put the equipment or the ability to move the equipment to the patient
Technology infrastructure is not limited to physical infrastructure that enables connectivity. It also requires:
- Information technology staff capable of implementing and troubleshooting the technology needed for program activities.
- Training for providers and staff who will use technology services to connect with their patients.
- Education for patients to understand how the technology services can help them connect with their providers.
Resources to Learn More
Telehealth Resource Centers
A program designed to assist healthcare organizations, networks, and providers in implementing telehealth programs that serve rural and medically-underserved areas.
Organization(s): Office for the Advancement of Telehealth, Health Resources and Services Administration