#RuralHealthChat: Access to Healthcare in Rural Communities
Date: Thursday, November 15, 2018
Time: 9:00 am Pacific, 10:00 am Mountain, 11:00 am Central, 12:00 pm Eastern
Duration: approximately 60 minutes
- National Organization of State Offices of Rural Health (NOSORH) – @NOSORH
- Donna Newchurch, Executive Director, Louisiana Rural Ambulance Alliance – @LAAmbulance
- Allen J. Smart. MA, MPH. Principal, PhilanthropywoRx, and Project Director, Campbell University - @allensmart6
- John Supplitt, Senior Director, American Hospital Association, Section for Small or Rural Hospitals - @jsupplitt
- Julie K. Wood, MD, MPH, FAAFP, AAFP Senior Vice President, Health of the Public and Interprofessional Activities, American Academy of Family Physicians – @JulieKWoodMD
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute – @BreatheBetter
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture – @USDA_NIFA
- National Rural Health Association – @NRHA_Advocacy
- NORC Walsh Center for Rural Health Analysis – @WalshCenter
- University of Minnesota Rural Health Research Center – @UMNRHRC
Access to healthcare is important for overall health and wellness, yet many rural residents face barriers to accessing a variety of healthcare services, including primary care, inpatient services, dental care, behavioral healthcare, emergency care, and public health services. Access is also important for disease prevention, detection and treatment of illness, chronic disease management, quality of life, and increasing life expectancy. Barriers to healthcare access may be related to distance, financial means, health insurance status, provider shortages, health literacy, and more.
Join the RHIhub and NOSORH on National Rural Health Day — Thursday, November 15th, 2018 — where we’ll discuss access to healthcare in rural areas and the impact of a lack of access for rural people. We’ll also discuss specific barriers to access, solutions to those barriers, and celebrate rural communities that have tackled this problem in meaningful ways. We’ll be using the hashtag #RuralHealthChat to tweet with experts from around the country. Everyone is welcome to follow along and jump in with comments, questions, and any information on Rural Access to Healthcare that they would like to share.
Log onto Twitter and follow the #RuralHealthChat hashtag. The RHIhub will tweet out questions on our topic and co-hosts and any other attendees can jump in with answers! Questions will be numbered using Q1, Q2, etc. and answers should likewise begin with A1, A2, etc. to indicate which question they are responding to. If you would like to join in, just make sure you include #RuralHealthChat in your tweet! All participants will be able to follow the conversation and jump in with comments and questions as they arise.
If you have any questions, please contact Nicole Ingalls-Caley at email@example.com or 701.777.6046.