Training Needs for Services Integration Models
Staff working for services integration programs may need training to serve clients and coordinate activities with other organizations. Some services integration models, like wraparound programs, require staff that are trained to address the complex health and social needs of children and families. Co-location models may cross-train staff from participating organizations to ensure warm hand-offs between primary care and oral health services. Training topics may focus on:
Best practice assessment protocols and procedures
- School Health Index training
- Trauma-informed care practices
Care coordination and tracking procedures among partner organizations
- Integrated care
- Screening instruments
- Database use
- Creating internal capacity
Training for school counselors, teachers, and paraprofessionals
- Public awareness training for coalition members
- Leadership training
- Certified Application Counselor for helping patients navigate available options for health insurance coverage
Working with specific populations and implementing targeted therapies
- Early intervention referral process
- Provision of developmental pediatric interventions
- Children/youth with disabilities
Trainings for healthcare professionals involved in the program
- Cross-training for integrating dental and medical care
- Integrating new technology into care practices (e.g., telehealth)
- Tobacco cessation
- Evidence-based and promising practices for health promotion, health policy, and cultural competency
Resources to Learn More
Action for Healthy Kids
Action for Healthy Kids® address obesity, undernourishment, and physical inactivity among children by promoting health within schools to improve the lives of children.
Organization(s): Action for Healthy Kids
Provides access to trainings for navigators, agents, brokers, and other assisters from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for helping individuals navigate available health insurance options.
Organization(s): Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
School Health Index Training Manual
Provides materials resources to guide trainings and presentation on the School Health Index (SHI): A Self-Assessment and Planning Guide.
Organization(s): Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Smiles for Life
Smiles for Life produces educational resources to ensure the integration of oral health and primary care.
Organization(s): Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
Service Coordinator Training
This training toolkit is intended to be used in training service coordinators in wraparound programs. The training materials include both lessons and activities for the trainees.
Author(s): McKinney-Frantz, S.
Organization(s): Ohio Children & Family First