San Luis Valley Area Health Education Center (SLV AHEC)
- Project Title: San Luis Valley N.E.E.D.
- Grant Period: 09/01/2015 – 08/31/2016
- Contact Name: Freddie Jaquez, Executive Director
- Location: Alamosa, Colorado
- Program Overview: San Luis Valley Area Health Education Center worked with community partners to organize a six-county-wide program in Colorado to provide training on recognizing symptoms of opioid overdose and administering naloxone in the case of overdose. By establishing memoranda of understanding with hospitals, pharmacies, and law enforcement, SLV N.E.E.D. was able to streamline their overdose prevention efforts and provide naloxone rescue kits to community members, health professionals, and other stakeholders who attended trainings. The project held neighborhood meetings and worked with faith-based communities to conduct an outreach campaign on the issue of overdose in their communities.
Read more about the Naloxone Education Empowerment Distribution Program in RHIhub's Rural Health Models and Innovations.
Models represented by this program: