Rural Community Development Initiative (RCDI)
The Rural Community Development Initiative (RCDI) awards grants to housing and community development intermediary organizations to develop the capacity and ability of nonprofit organizations, low-income rural communities, or federally recognized tribes to undertake projects related to housing, community facilities, or community and economic development in rural areas.
Funds can be used for, but are not limited to, the following purposes:
- Train sub-grantees to conduct home ownership education or minority business entrepreneur education
- Provide technical assistance to sub-grantees on:
- Strategic plan development
- Accessing alternative funding sources
- Board training
- Developing successful childcare facilities
- Creating training tools such as videos, workbooks, and reference guides
- Effective fundraising techniques
Past awarded projects have included healthcare and infrastructure development in tribal communities and technical assistance for nonprofit organizations that help rural health clinics.
Eligible applicants include:
- Nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations
- Federally recognized Native American tribal governments
- Public and Indian housing authorities
- Public and private institutions of higher education
- City, township, county, or special district governments
- State governments
- Small businesses and for-profit organizations other than small businesses
- Independent school districts
Recipients and beneficiaries of the funding, but not the Intermediary, must be located in a city or town that has a population of 50,000 or less.
Award ceiling: $250,000
Award floor: $50,000
Expected number of awards: 25
Estimated total program funding: $4,000,000
The Intermediary will be required to provide matching funds in an amount at least equal to the RCDI grant.
Links to the full announcement and electronic application are available through grants.gov.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.