Rural Energy for America Program (REAP) Renewable Energy Systems and Energy Efficiency Improvements Grants and Guaranteed Loans
The REAP Renewable Energy System Grant and Loan Guarantee program provides financial assistance to agriculture producers and rural small businesses to purchase, install, and construct renewable energy systems or energy efficiency improvements.
Funds may be used for the purchase, installation and construction of renewable energy systems, such as:
- Biomass (for example: biodiesel and ethanol, anaerobic digesters, and solid fuels)
- Geothermal for electric generation or direct use
- Hydropower below 30 megawatts
- Small and large wind generation
- Small and large solar generation
- Ocean (tidal, current, thermal) generation
Funds may also be used for the purchase, installation and construction of energy efficiency improvements, such as:
- High efficiency heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC)
- Cooling or refrigeration units
- Doors and windows
- Electric, solar, or gravity pumps for sprinkler pivots
- Switching from a diesel to electric irrigation motor
- Replacement of energy-inefficient equipment
Rural small businesses and agricultural producers are eligible to apply.
A list of specific requirements can be found on the program website.
- Loan guarantees on loans up to 75% of total eligible project costs
- Grants for up to 25% of total eligible project costs
- Combined grant and loan guarantee funding up to 75% of total eligible project costs
For lenders, USDA will guarantee 80% of eligible loans.
Applicants should contact their State Rural Development Energy Coordinator to begin the application process.
Grant applications are due by November 2, 2020 and March 31, 2021. Guaranteed Loans are accepted on a continuous application cycle.
Lenders may visit the streamlined OneRD Guarantee Loan Initiative website for detailed application information. Non-regulated lenders apply for approval to participate through a single certification process that is valid for 5 years. To begin the process, email a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.