Rural Energy for America Program (REAP) Renewable Energy Systems and Energy Efficiency Improvements Grants and Guaranteed Loans
The REAP Renewable Energy System Grant and Loan Guarantee program provides financial assistance to agriculture producers and rural small businesses to purchase, install, and construct renewable energy systems or energy efficiency improvements.
Funds may be used for the purchase, installation and construction of renewable energy systems, such as:
- Biomass (for example: biodiesel and ethanol, anaerobic digesters, and solid fuels)
- Geothermal for electric generation or direct use
- Hydropower below 30 megawatts
- Small and large wind generation
- Small and large solar generation
- Ocean (tidal, current, thermal) generation
Funds may also be used for the purchase, installation and construction of energy efficiency improvements, such as:
- High efficiency heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC)
- Cooling or refrigeration units
- Doors and windows
- Electric, solar, or gravity pumps for sprinkler pivots
- Switching from a diesel to electric irrigation motor
- Replacement of energy-inefficient equipment
Rural small businesses and agricultural producers are eligible to apply.
A list of specific requirements can be found on the program website.
Renewable Energy System Grants:
- $2,500 minimum
- $500,000 maximum
Energy Efficiency Grants:
- $1,500 minimum
- $250,000 maximum
Applicants can apply for grants, guaranteed loans, or a combination of the two. A percentage of matching funds is required based upon the type of project.
Applicants should contact their State Rural Development Energy Coordinator to begin the application process.
- Grants of $20,000 or less and loan/grant combination of $20,000 or less deadlines are October 31, 2018 and April 1, 2019
- Applications for Unrestricted Grants and unrestricted loan/grant combination deadline is April 1, 2019
- Energy audit and renewable energy development assistance grants deadline is January 31, 2019
- Guaranteed loan applications are accepted on a continuous cycle.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.