American Indians Into Nursing
This funding record is inactive. Please see the program website or contact the program sponsor to determine if this program is currently accepting applications or will open again in the future.
For programmatic questions:
For grants management or budgetary
The Indian Health Service provides grants to operate the American Indians into Nursing Program that is designed to recruit, retain, graduate and increase the number of registered nurses, certified nurse midwives and nurse practitioners who deliver healthcare services to American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities.
The main objectives of the program are to:
- Recruit and train AI/AN individuals to be baccalaureate prepared nurses
- Facilitate associate degree registered nurses becoming baccalaureate prepared registered nurses
- Provide a program that prepares practicing registered nurses for advanced nursing education
- Provide a program that encourages registered nurses and advanced practice nurses to provide or continue to provide, healthcare services to AI/AN communities
- Provide scholarships to AI/AN individuals that will cover tuition, books, fees, room and board, stipend for living expenses, or other expenses incurred in connection with baccalaureate level nursing or advanced practice nursing programs
Competition for this grant program is limited to the following high need areas:
- Navajo Area (NM, AZ)
- Billings Area (MT, WY)
- Great Plains Area (SD, ND, NE, IA)
- Albuquerque Area (CO, NM NV)
- Phoenix Area (NV, UT, AZ)
Eligible applicants include:
- Accredited public or private schools of nursing
- Accredited Tribally-controlled community colleges and Tribally-controlled postsecondary vocational institutions
- Nurse midwife programs and nurse practitioner programs that are provided by any public or private institution
Award ceiling: $400,000
Award floor: $300,000
Number of awards: 5
Project period: 5 years
Total funds available: $1,686,706
Links to the full announcement and online application process are available through grants.gov.
- Indian Health Service, view details
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, view details
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.