Solid Waste Management Grant Program (SWMFY2017)
The Solid Waste Management (SWM) Grant Program offers funds to organizations that will work to reduce or eliminate pollution of water resources in rural areas and improve planning and management of solid waste sites in rural areas.
Grantees will be expected to:
- Evaluate current landfill conditions to determine threats to water resources
- Provide technical assistance and/or training to enhance operator skills in the operation and maintenance of active landfills
- Provide technical assistance and/or training to help communities reduce the solid waste stream
- Provide technical assistance and/or training for operators of landfills which are closed or will be closed in the near future
Eligible applicants include:
- Private, nonprofit organizations that have tax-exempt status
- Public bodies
- Federally acknowledged or state-recognized Native American tribes or groups
- Academic institutions
Applicants should have a proven record of successfully providing technical assistance and/or training to rural areas and be able to demonstrate the financial, technical, and managerial capability to comply with federal and state laws and requirements.
Expected Number of Awards: 30
Estimated Total Funding Available: $4,000,000
The actual amount available for Fiscal Year 2017 will be determined when the budget is approved by Congress.
Links to the full announcement and online application process are available through grants.gov.
Applicants may apply online through grants.gov or file paper applications.
Grant applications for projects that serve a single state may be mailed to the state's USDA Rural Development office.
Applications that propose to serve more than one state may be mailed to:
Water and Environmental Programs
Rural Development, Rural Utilities Service
United States Department of Agriculture
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
STOP 1548, Room 5145 South
Washington, DC 20250-1548
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.