Indian Health Service Loan Repayment Program
The Indian Health Service Loan Repayment Program (LRP) offers to repay educational loans for eligible health professionals in order to meet the staffing needs of the Indian Health Service (IHS) in Indian health programs. Applicants sign contractual agreements for 2 years of service in a full-time clinical practice at an IHS facility or approved Indian health program.
Opportunities are based on staffing needs and the availability of funds. Distribution of LRP awards are based on a ranking system created to address these needs. IHS identifies hiring priorities for Indian health program facilities with the greatest staffing needs in specific health profession disciplines.
Successful applicants must begin their service obligation no later than September 30 of the fiscal year in which the LRP contract is signed.
Eligibility requirements include:
- U.S. citizen
- Males 18 years or older must be registered for Selective Service
- Have a health profession degree or are in the final year of academic/post-graduate clinical training
- Have a valid license to practice. Health profession students in their final year of post-graduate clinical training/school are eligible to apply before obtaining a license, but are not eligible for award receipt until proof of licensure is provided
- Committed to practice at an Indian health facility
- Can begin service on or before September 30 for 2 continuous years of full-time clinical practice
Up to $50,000 in exchange for an initial 2-year service commitment
A link to the online application is available on the program website. Additional guidance is provided in the left side menu.
Applications are accepted each year from October 1 through August 15 and are evaluated monthly beginning in January (or as soon as funds become available).
- Indian Health Service, view details
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, view details
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.