Environmental Justice Small Grants Program
The Environmental Justice (EJ) Small Grants Program provides grants to support community-driven projects designed to engage, educate, and empower communities to better understand local environmental and public health issues and develop strategies for addressing those issues, building consensus in the community, and setting community priorities.
For the purposes of this competition, an underserved community refers to a community with environmental justice concerns and/or vulnerable populations, including minority, low income, rural, tribal, indigenous, and homeless populations that may be disproportionately impacted by environmental harms and risks.
The current opportunity will place special emphasis on proposals in the following areas:
- Public education, training, emergency planning, and/or investigations on impacts of COVID-19 on underserved communities and vulnerable populations
- Projects that address the needs of underserved and vulnerable communities that have been adversely impacted or are likely to be adversely impacted by natural disasters, including, but not limited to, hurricanes, tornadoes, wildfires, floods, earthquakes, and future pandemics
Eligible applicants include:
- Incorporated nonprofit organizations including, but not limited to, environmental justice networks, faith-based organizations, and those affiliated with religious institutions
- U.S. Territories
- Federally and state recognized tribal governments
- Alaska Native Villages
- Tribal organizations
- Freely associated states including state and local governmental entities and local non-profit organizations in the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and Palau
Award Ceiling: $75,000
Expected Number of Awards: 100
Total Program Funding: $2,800,000
Half of the total available funding is set aside for awards to nonprofit organizations that have 10 or fewer full-time employees.
- March 4, 2021 conference call recording
- March 16, 2021 call recording
- March 31, 2021 call recording in Spanish
- April 26, 2021 webinar recording (Passcode: 26808752)
- May 12, 2021 webinar recording (Passcode: 23802764)
- Emerging Tools for Local Problem Solving Guide
- FAQs on applying for EJ Small Grants
- Program fact sheet
- Map and descriptions of funded projects
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.