Minnesota Good Food Access Program: Equipment and Physical Improvement Grant
Minnesota Good Food Access Program (GFAP) Equipment and Physical Improvement Grant provides funds to assist grocery stores and small food retailers in making physical improvements and purchasing equipment in order to increase access to affordable, nutritious, and culturally appropriate food for underserved communities in low and moderate income areas.
Potential projects may include:
- Retail display coolers and freezers
- Storage coolers and freezers
- Mobile food trucks
- Permanent infrastructure at farmers markets
- Architectural work
- Costs associated with the installation of equipment and/or physical improvements
Eligible applicants are for-profit and nonprofit grocery stores and small food retailers, such as corner store, convenience store, farmers' market, mobile food market, and a retail food outlet operated by an emergency food program or food hub.
Awardees must agree with specific conditions for a period of 5 years.
- Accept Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits
- Apply to accept Special Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) benefits, and if approved, accept WIC benefits
- Comply with all data collection and reporting requirements
- Promote the hiring, training, and retention of local or regional residents from low-income and moderate-income areas that reflect area demographics, including communities of color
- Except for small food retailers, allocate at least 30% of retail food space for the sale of affordable, nutritious, and culturally appropriate foods consistent with nutrition standards in national guidelines described in the current Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
Award ceiling: $50,000
Award floor: $2,500
Estimated total program funding: $225,000
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.