First Responders - Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act Cooperative Agreement
This program (Short Title: FR-CARA) provides grants to allow first responders and members of other key community sectors to administer a drug or device approved or cleared under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act for emergency treatment of known or suspected opioid overdose.
Grant funds should be used to support the following activities:
- Make a drug or device approved or cleared under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act for emergency treatment of known or suspected opioid overdose available to be carried and administered by first responders and members of other key community sectors
- Train and provide resources for first responders and members of other key community sectors on carrying and administering an approved drug or device
- Train and provide resources for first responders and members of other key community sectors on safety around fentanyl, carfentanil, and other dangerous drugs to protect themselves from exposure to such drugs and respond appropriately when exposure occurs
- Establish processes, protocols, and mechanisms for referral to appropriate treatment and recovery communities, which may include an outreach coordinator or team to connect individuals receiving opioid overdose reversal drugs to follow-up services
Eligible applicants include:
- State governments
- American Indian/Alaska Native tribes
- Tribal organizations
- Consortia of tribes or tribal organizations
- Local governmental entities
Award ceiling based on applicant
- States - $800,000 per year
- Local government entities - $500,000 per year
- Tribes and tribal organizations - $250,000 per year
Project period: Up to 4 years
Expected number of awards: 45
Estimated total program funding: $16,500,000
$9,000,000 is set aside for recipients serving rural communities with high rates of opioid abuse.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.