Water and Waste Disposal Loan and Grant Program
Choose the appropriate state in the drop down menu on the top right of the program website. This will open the state specific page. Tabs at the top of the page will show general program information, forms and resources, and state specific contact information.
The Water and Waste Disposal Loan and Grant Program provides funding for water and waste disposal systems in eligible rural areas.
Funds may be used to finance the acquisition, construction, or improvement of:
- Drinking water sourcing, treatment, storage, and distribution
- Sewer collection, transmission, treatment, and disposal
- Solid waste collection, disposal, and closure
- Storm water collection, transmission, and disposal
In some cases, funding may also be available for related activities such as:
- Legal and engineering fees
- Land acquisition, water and land rights, permits, and equipment
- Start-up operations and maintenance
- Interest incurred during construction
- Purchase of facilities to improve service or prevent loss of service
- Other costs determined to be necessary for completion of the project
Funding is available through long-term, low interest loans. If funds are available, a grant may be combined with a loan to keep end-user costs reasonable.
Eligible applicants are entities that are not otherwise able to get commercial credit on reasonable terms,including:
- State and local governments
- Nonprofit organizations
- Federally recognized tribes
Areas to be served include:
- Rural areas and towns with populations of 10,000 or less (check eligible addresses)
- Tribal lands in rural areas
- Loan and grant amounts are based upon the needs of the project.
- Loans have up to a 40 year payback period, based upon the useful life of the facilities financed.
- Loans have fixed interest rates, based upon the need for the project and the median household income of the area to be served.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.