Texas Loan Repayment Program for Mental Health Professionals
Due to the high level of interest in the program in prior years and the graduated payment amounts for each additional year of service, there are not sufficient funds to enroll new program participants during the state fiscal year beginning September 1, 2020.
The Texas Loan Repayment Program for Mental Health Professionals provides loan repayment assistance for certain mental health professionals practicing in mental health professional shortage areas of Texas.
Participants must agree to provide 5 consecutive years of service in an eligible area, with the understanding that they will be released from the agreement if funding for continued loan repayment is not appropriated.
The following mental health professionals may apply for enrollment in the program:
- Advanced practice nurses who are board certified in psychiatric or mental health nursing
- Licensed professional counselors
- Licensed clinical social workers
A total of $2,125,000 was appropriated for the program for the FY 2016-2017 biennium. This amount is sufficient to allow for financial commitments to approximately 100 providers for 2 years of loan repayment.
The following maximum award amounts are applicable over a period of 5 years if funds are available:
- Psychiatrists - $160,000
- Psychologists and licensed clinical social workers and licensed professional counselors who hold doctoral degrees - $80,000
- Advanced practice nurses - $60,000
- Licensed clinical social workers and licensed professional counselors who do not hold doctoral degrees - $40,000
The following percentages apply to the award amount for each year of service:
- 10% in year 1
- 15% in year 2
- 20% in year 3
- 25% in year 4
- 30% in year 5
Links to additional information and the online application form are available on the program website when applications are being accepted.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.