Developing Future Victim Specialists to Serve American Indian/Alaska Native Victims of Crime
This program provides grants to recruit, train, and develop victim service professionals that will provide direct victim services to American Indian/Alaska Native (AI/AN) victims of crimes in locations that are remote and where positions are hard to fill. Projects should focus on engaging interested individuals, including college and university students, who are from, or live and attend school in, these areas.
Successful applicants will be expected to accomplish the following objectives:
- Establish and administer a structured program that links individuals interested in victim service careers to internship or residency opportunities with either a BIA- or tribally run victim services program. Applicants may include incentives for participants, including, but not limited to, a stipend, course credit, or priority consideration for future employment opportunities.
- Provide supervision and training to participants in the program by experienced victim service professionals
- Establish baseline data for performance metrics and a data collection process to support an assessment of this initiative
Purpose Area 1 will fund projects for recruiting interns/residents to serve Tribal victims in the continental United States and Purpose Area 2 will focus on Alaska. Programs that recruit and place interns that speak Alaskan Native languages will receive priority under Purpose Area 2.
Eligible applicants are limited to:
- Federally recognized Tribal governments
- Nonprofit organizations
- For-profit organizations
- Institutions of higher education (including Tribal institutions of higher education) with connections to both tribes and programs that prepare students for careers in victim services
Award ceiling: $450,000
Project period: 3 years
Estimated number of awards: 8
Estimated program funding: $3,600,000
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.