Promise Neighborhoods Program
The Promise Neighborhoods Program provides grants to significantly improve the educational and developmental outcomes of children and youth in the most distressed communities, and to ultimately transform those communities.
The program has 3 funding categories called "absolute priorities."
- Absolute Priority 1: Non-rural and non-tribal distressed communities
- Absolute Priority 2: Rural communities
- Absolute Priority 3: Tribal communities
A list of possible performance indicators is provided in the application instructions. Health-related performance measures include:
- Percentages of children with preventable chronic health conditions
- Immunization rates
- Teen birth rates
Applicants will receive competitive preference priority points for:
- Serving geographic areas that have been awarded a Byrne Criminal Justice Innovation grant
- Having been awarded a Drug Free Communities grant to prevent opioid abuse
- Proposing evidence-based activities, strategies, or interventions
- Serving an area that is in a federally designated Promise Zone
Eligible applicants include:
- Institutions of higher education
- Tribes and tribal organizations
- One or more nonprofit entities working in formal
partnership with at least one of the following entities
- A high need local education agency (LEA)
- An institution of higher education
- The office of a chief elected official of a unit of local government
- A tribe or tribal organization
Award ceiling: $6,000,000 per year
Project period: Up to 5 years
Estimated number of awards: 5-7
Estimated total funding: $30,000,000
Matching funds or in-kind donations are required based on applicant type.
- Non-rural and non-tribal communities: 100%
- Rural communities: 50%
- Tribal communities: 50%
While not required, applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a notice of intent to apply by email to PromiseNeighborhoods@ed.gov by August 21, 2017. The deadline to submit applications is September 5, 2017.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.