Resident Instruction Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas
Resident Instruction Grants Program for Institutions of Higher Education in Insular Areas provides funding to strengthen the capacity to carry out resident instruction, curriculum, and teaching programs in the food and agricultural sciences as well as to upgrade agriculture and food science facilities and equipment necessary to conduct tropical and subtropical agricultural research.
Applications are expected to:
- Improve formal, post secondary agricultural sciences education and instruction to ensure a competent and qualified workforce to meet current and future national food and agricultural science needs
- Improve the economic health and viability of rural communities through the development of degree programs emphasizing new and emerging employment opportunities in food and agricultural sciences
- Increase the number and diversity of students who will pursue and complete post secondary education in food and agricultural sciences or STEM disciplines
Incorporation of social and behavioral sciences is important for addressing many of the challenges facing agriculture and rural communities, such as increasing global demand for food production in the face of limited natural resources; improving health and reducing obesity by engaging in healthy lifestyles and consuming healthy diets; and alleviating poverty by fostering economic opportunity.
Eligible applicants are institutions of higher education located in Insular Areas and that have the capacity to carry out teaching and extension programs in the FANH sciences. Insular areas include:
- American Samoa
- The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- The Federated States of Micronesia
- The Republic of the Marshall Islands
- The Republic of Palau
- The Virgin Islands of the United States
Award ceiling: $150,000
Award floor: $30,000 per year
Project period: 2-3 years
Estimated total program funding: $1,200,000
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.