Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF)
The Drinking Water State Revolving Fund is a federal-state partnership that provides funding and technical assistance to help water systems and states achieve the health protection objectives of the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA).
Under the DWSRF, states may provide various types of assistance, including:
- Guaranteeing local debt
- Purchasing bond insurance
- Principal forgiveness
- Negative interest rate loans
Eligible projects include:
- Treatment - Projects to install or upgrade facilities to improve drinking water quality to comply with SDWA regulations
- Transmission and distribution - Rehabilitation, replacement, or installation of pipes to improve water pressure to safe levels or to prevent contamination caused by leaky or broken pipes
- Source - Rehabilitation of wells or development of eligible sources to replace contaminated sources
- Storage - Installation or upgrade of finished water storage tanks to prevent microbiological contamination from entering the distribution system
- Consolidation - Interconnecting two or more water systems
- Creation of new systems - Construct a new system to serve homes with contaminated individual wells or consolidate existing systems into a new regional water system
For additional information, refer to:
Each state determines eligibility requirements. Priority is given to projects that:
- Address the most serious risks to human health
- Are necessary to ensure compliance with the SDWA
- Assist systems most in need according to state affordability criteria
Amounts vary by product and need. According to the most recent annual report, through June 30, 2017 the program has invested $35.4 billion through 13,800 agreements.
Begin the process by contacting the appropriate State-level DWSRF representative.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.