Off-Farm Labor Housing Direct Loans and Grants
This funding record is inactive. Please see the program website or contact the program sponsor to determine if this program is currently accepting applications or will open again in the future.
Application: Nov 1, 2022
For regional contacts, choose the Contact tab of the program website.
The Off-Farm Labor Housing program provides low interest loans and need-based grants to develop affordable housing for year-round, migrant, seasonal, retired, and/or disabled domestic farm laborers.
The primary use of the funds includes construction, improvement, repair, and purchase of housing for domestic farm laborers. In some cases, funds may also be used for operating and rental assistance, and other related activities, such as buying and improving land, purchasing household furnishings, and paying loan interest.
Key priorities include:
- Assisting rural communities in recovering economically from the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, particularly disadvantaged communities
- Ensuring all rural residents have equitable access to RD programs and benefits from RD funded projects
- Reducing climate pollution and increasing resilience to the impacts of climate change through economic support to rural communities
Eligible applicants include:
- Farmers, associations of farmers, and family farm corporations
- Associations of farmworkers and nonprofit organizations
- State and local governmental entities
- Federally-recognized tribes
Award ceiling: $15,000 per unit (total
loan and grant)
Estimated total program funding:
- Loans - $5,500,000
- Grants - $17,000,000
Grant funds may be awarded based on need and may not exceed 90% of project cost.
Loans have a 33 year payback period at a 1% fixed rate.
Application instructions are available on the program website.
- Funding for Repairs: Pre-Applications Due May 9, 2022 and final applications must be submitted by September 12, 2022.
- Funding for new construction is currently not available.
- Third Round: Pre-Applications Due July 15, 2022 and final applications must be submitted by November 1, 2022.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, view details
- USDA Rural Development, view details
- USDA Rural Housing Service, view details
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.