Partnerships for Opportunity and Workforce and Economic Revitalization in Coal-Affected Appalachia
Partnerships for Opportunity and Workforce and Economic Revitalization (POWER) is a federally funded program of the Appalachian Regional Commission that provides funding for workforce and economic revitalization activities in communities and regions that have been affected by job losses in coal mining, coal power plant operations, and coal-related supply chain industries.
The program funds projects that:
- Will produce multiple economic development outcomes, such as promoting regional economic growth and diversification, new job creation, and re-employment opportunities for displaced coal-economy workers
- Are specifically identified under state, local, and/or regional economic development plans
- Have been collaboratively designed by diverse state, local, and regional stakeholders
Priority areas include:
- Building a competitive workforce
- Strengthening the healthcare sector, and working to improve health conditions that affect economic vitality
- Strategies to increase the number of adults with at least a high school diploma or equivalent
- Enhancing access to and use of broadband services
- Fostering entrepreneurial activities
- Developing industry clusters in communities
Funds are also available in 2018 for technical assistance projects to assist communities and regions in developing plans and strategies for transforming their economic structures.
Eligible applicants include:
- Local development districts
- Indian tribes or a consortium of tribes
- States, counties, cities, or other political subdivision of a state, including a special purpose unit of a state or local government engaged in economic or infrastructure development activities, or a consortium of political subdivisions
- Institutions of higher education or a consortium of institutions of higher education
- Public or private nonprofit organizations or associations
Projects should benefit one or more of the counties in the Power Initiative service area.
Award ceiling: $1,500,000
Award floor: $400,000
Project period: Up to 3 years
Estimated total program funding: $20,000,000
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.