Alaska Native-Serving and Native Hawaiian-Serving Institutions Education Competitive Grants Program
This program provides grants to promote and strengthen the ability of Alaska Native-Serving Institutions and Native Hawaiian-Serving Institutions to carry out education, applied research, and extension community development programs.
The program supports:
- Activities of collaborative membership of Alaska Native-Serving or Native Hawaiian-Serving Institutions to enhance educational equity for underrepresented students
- Strengthening institutional education capacities, including libraries, curriculum, faculty, scientific instrumentation, instruction delivery systems, and student recruitment and retention, in order to respond to identified state, regional, national, or international educational needs in the food, agricultural sciences
- Undergraduate and graduate students from underrepresented groups in order to prepare them for careers related to food and agricultural sciences and beginning with the mentoring of students from K-12, and continuing with the provision of financial support for students through their attainment of a doctoral degree
- Cooperative initiatives between at least 2 or more Alaska Native-Serving or Native Hawaiian-Serving Institutions, which may work in cooperation with one or more other entities including units of State government and private sector organizations, to maximize the development and use of resources, such as faculty, facilities, and equipment, to improve food and agricultural science education program
Projects that integrate social and biological sciences to address many of the challenges facing agriculture and rural communities are a priority, such as:
- Increasing global demand for food production in the face of limited natural resources
- Improving health and reducing obesity by engaging in healthy lifestyles and consuming healthy diets
- Alleviating poverty by fostering economic opportunity
Eligible applicants are public and private, nonprofit Alaska Native-Serving and Native Hawaiian-Serving Institutions of higher education.
Award ceiling: $1,000,000
Award floor: $150,000
Project period: 24-36 months
Estimated total program funding: $3,000,000
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.