Summer Health Professions Education Program
The Summer Health Professions Education Program is a free summer enrichment program designed to improve access to information and resources for college students interested in the health professions. Eligible students include, but are not limited to, individuals who identify as African American/Black, American Indian and Alaska Native and Hispanic/Latino, and those who are from communities of socioeconomic and educational disadvantage.
The program includes:
- Academic enrichment in the basic sciences and quantitative topics
- Learning and study skills development, including methods of individual and group learning
- Career development sessions directed toward exploration of the health professions, the admissions process, and the development of an individualized education plan
- A financial literacy and planning workshop that informs students of financial concepts and strategies
- A health policy seminar series to expose scholars to a larger view of healthcare, health systems, and the social determinants of health
- An introduction to interprofessional education that addresses effective collaboration across health professions
The program will be virtual in 2021.
Eligibility requirements include:
- High school graduate and currently enrolled as a freshman or sophomore in college
- Minimum overall college GPA of 2.5
- U.S. citizen, a permanent resident, or an individual granted deferred action for childhood arrivals status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Must not have previously participated in the program
- Identifies with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in the health professions
- Comes from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background and/or has demonstrated an interest in issues affecting underserved populations
- Has demonstrated an interest in issues affecting underserved populations
This is a free educational experience.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.