Personal Responsibility Education Program (PREP) Competitive Grants
The Personal Responsibility Education Program (PREP) Competitive Grants provide funding for projects that educate youth between 10 and 19 years of age and pregnant and parenting youth under age 21 on abstinence and contraception for the prevention of pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)/acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).
Programs and services should be medically accurate, age appropriate, culturally competent, and trauma-informed. Programs should include a Positive Youth Development (PYD) approach to help participants build healthy life skills and protective factors that mitigate the impact of past and future negative factors, empower participants to make healthy decisions, provide tools and resources to prevent pregnancy and STIs, and prevent youth engagement in other risky behaviors.
Applicants should place special emphasis on youth populations that are high risk, vulnerable for pregnancies, or otherwise have special circumstances, including but not limited to:
- Youth in foster care
- Homeless youth
- Youth with HIV/AIDS
- Youth who are victims of human trafficking
- Pregnant or parenting youth who are under 21 years of age
- Youth residing in areas with high teen birth rates
- Hispanic, African American, and Native American youth
- Systems involved youth
- Rural youth
- Runaway youth
- Youth who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or questioning
- Fathers who are under 21 years of age
Eligible applicants include:
- County, city, township, and special district governments
- Independent, local, and regional school districts
- Public, state controlled, and private institutions of higher education
- Federally recognized tribal governments
- Tribal organizations
- Public and Indian housing authorities
- Nonprofit organizations with and without 501(c)(3) status, including faith-based organizations and local affiliates of national organizations
- For-profit organizations and small businesses
Eligibility is limited to states and territories that do not accept state allocations of PREP funding, including:
- North Dakota
- American Samoa
- Marshall Islands
Applicants serving an unserved/underserved population or remote geographic area are encouraged to apply.
Award ceiling: $700,000 per year
Award floor: $250,000 per year
Project period: 3 years
Estimated number of awards: 30
Estimated total program funding: $21,000,000
Award ranges by state/territory are provided in the application instructions.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.