Louisiana Rural Health Scholars Program
Louisiana Department of Health, Louisiana Primary Care Office
Applications accepted on an ongoing basis
The Louisiana Primary Care Office provides a short-term
rotation for healthcare professional students to gain
experience in rural healthcare settings in Louisiana,
specifically in Critical Access Hospitals, Rural Health
Clinics, and Federally Qualified Health Centers.
Responsibilities of participating students include:
- Complete a 180-hour (minimum) clinical rotation at
the assigned healthcare facility. Hours must be completed
within 90 days.
- Work closely with the assigned preceptor, following
the developed work plan. Negotiate a clinical schedule
that facilitates the needs of all participants.
- Complete an online training that will detail health
disparities, discuss health equity, and provide
information on chronic disease prevention efforts in
- Submit an essay detailing the experience in the
- Participate in a post-rotation survey.
- Complete any documents required from the college or
university institute of higher education and healthcare
facility where placed.
- Complete a service report that outlines hours worked
and patient profile statistics.
- Create a profile and upload a current CV in 3RNet.
- Arrive prepared for clinical with necessary equipment
- Be punctual, respectful, and professional at all
Eligible applicants are health professions students in
Louisiana within 1-2 years of completing their respective
Eligible disciplines include:
- Family or General Practice, Internal Medicine,
Obstetrics/Gynecology and Pediatrics (MD/DO Physicians)
- General and Pediatric Dentistry (DDS/DMD)
- Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Physician Assistant (PA)
- Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH)
Amount of funding
Participants will receive a total of $8,000 that includes
a stipend and living expenses.
Critical Access Hospitals · Dental workforce · Federally Qualified Health Centers · Health disparities · Health workforce education and training · Nurse practitioners and other advanced practice registered nurses · Physician assistants · Physicians · Rural Health Clinics · Louisiana
For complete information about funding programs, including your
application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided
for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes
or monitor application status.