Rural Project Examples: Mortality
Other Project Examples
Community Connections, Inc. Rural Health Opioid Program
Updated/reviewed December 2021
- Need: To reduce deaths due to opioid overdose in rural southeast West Virginia.
- Intervention: The Community Connections, Inc. Rural Health Opioid Program trained and certified first responders, healthcare staff, and laypeople in naloxone administration.
- Results: From October 2018 to September 2021, the program provided direct education to 638 individuals, trained 821 providers, and distributed 4,023 Narcan kits.
MaineGeneral Harm Reduction Program
Updated/reviewed December 2020
- Need: To reduce deaths from opioid overdoses in rural Maine.
- Intervention: The MaineGeneral Harm Reduction Program provides community education/training for healthcare staff, first responders, community agency staff, and community members in rural Kennebec and Somerset counties.
- Results: MaineGeneral continues to train providers, provide stigma assessments, and distribute Narcan kits.
Mother's Milk Bank of South Carolina
Updated/reviewed January 2019
- Need: Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICUs) across the state of South Carolina were purchasing breast milk from out-of-state milk banks for preterm infants.
- Intervention: The Mother's Milk Bank of South Carolina (MMBSC) opened 17 sites in South Carolina for breast milk to be donated, safely pasteurized, and delivered to NICUs across the state.
- Results: Over 260,000 ounces of milk have been donated to MMBSC depot sites and over 186,000 ounces of milk have been delivered to South Carolina NICUs.
For examples from other sources, see: