Grants to States to Support Oral Health Workforce Activities
For business, administrative, or fiscal
Carolyn J. Cobb, Grants Management Specialist
Vincent Woodard, Grants Management Specialist
For programmatic or technical assistance
Thomas Vallin, Project Officer, Oral Health Branch
The Grants to States to Support Oral Health Workforce Activities initiative offers funding to states to develop and implement programs that address the dental workforce needs of designated Dental Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSA).
Applicants should describe innovative approaches to increase access to and sustain high quality oral health services in Dental HPSAs at the state level. Maintenance, expansion, or minor changes to existing programs will not be considered for funding under this program. Examples of allowable activities include:
- Efforts to improve and/or increase dental recruitment and retention
- Grants and low-interest or no-interest loans to help dentists who participate in the Medicaid program to enhance capacity, such as through equipment purchases or the sharing of overhead costs to allow for additional hours of operation
- Establishment or expansion of dental residency programs in coordination with accredited dental training institutions in states without dental schools
- Establishment or expansion oral health services and facilities in Dental HPSAs, such as community-based dental facilities, free-standing dental clinics, school-linked dental facilities, and mobile or portable dental clinics
- Placement and support of dental students, dental residents, and advanced dentistry trainees
- Continuing dental education, including distance-based education
- Community-based prevention services
- Coordination with local educational agencies to foster programs that promote children going into oral health or science professions
- Establishment of faculty recruitment programs at accredited dental training institutions whose mission includes community outreach and service and that have a demonstrated record of serving underserved states
- Development of a state dental officer position or the augmentation of a state dental office to coordinate oral health and access issues in the state
Eligible applicants include Governor-appointed and state government entities such as state-run universities or dental schools.
Award Ceiling: $400,000 per year
Number of Awards: Up to 23
Total Funding Available: $9,200,000
A 40% non-federal cash or in-kind match is required.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.