Health Professions Extern Program
The IHS Health Professions Extern Program provides externship opportunities for Indian Health Scholarship recipients, as well as other interested health professions students. Students are assigned to Indian health programs in their chosen health or allied health career categories.
Externships will take place from May through August, 2022.
- Gain working knowledge and experience in a chosen health profession or field with Indian Health Service during non-academic periods for up to 120 workdays per calendar year
- Assist preceptor with daily duties
- Assist and prepare reports on assigned projects
- Assist on day to day administrative operations by performing tasks related to department functions
Applicants must be:
- US citizens
- Enrolled in an eligible health profession degree program
- In good academic standing - undergraduate or graduate students with a 2.0 grade point average or above
Eligible degree programs include:
- Bachelor of nursing
- Physician assistant
- Nurse practitioner
- Nurse anesthetist (doctoral level)
- Nurse midwife
- Allopathic medicine
- Osteopathic medicine
- Dentistry (DMD)
- Chemical dependency
- Clinical psychology
- Counseling psychology
- Clinical social work (MSW)
- Physical therapy (DPT)
- Pre-medicine (senior level)
Placement preference is given to recipients of Indian Health Service scholarships and health professions students who identify as American Indians or Alaska Natives.
Participants will be employed as an IHS extern during the summer. The salary range is equivalent to a GS 3-9.
Participants may request travel reimbursement for one round trip to the externship site.
Follow the steps to apply online through USAJOBS.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.