West Virginia Health Sciences Service Program
Michelle Ruppert M.A.
The West Virginia Health Sciences Service Program awards loan repayment assistance to certain health professions students who are in the final year of study and who agree to practice in an underserved or rural area of West Virginia upon graduation.
Recipients must agree to a 2 year full-time or 4 year part-time service contract. Participants are responsible for locating a practice site.
Eligible students include:
- Fourth-year medical students who are entering primary care or emergency medicine residency programs in West Virginia. Primary care residencies include family medicine, geriatrics, general internal medicine, internal medicine/pediatrics, obstetrics and gynecology, preventive medicine or psychiatry
- Students in the final year of a graduate or doctoral program for nurse educators, nurse midwives, nurse practitioners, or occupational therapy
- Students who are in the final year of a graduate program for physician assistants or public health
- Students in the final year of a doctoral program in dentistry, pharmacy, or physical therapy
- Students in the final year of a graduate social work program, leading to a career as a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker
- Students in the final year of a doctoral clinical psychology program who intend to enter a clinical internship in West Virginia
Physicians and dentists are eligible for up to $30,000. All other professions are eligible for up to $15,000. The program allocates approximately 15 awards each academic year.
Completed applications may be submitted by:
Health Sciences Service Program
WV Higher Education Policy Commission
1018 Kanawha Blvd. E., Suite 700
Charleston, WV 25301
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.