SEARCH - Special Evaluation Assistance for Rural Communities and Households
SEARCH - Special Evaluation Assistance for Rural Communities and Households provides grants to eligible communities to fund predevelopment costs for proposed water and waste disposal projects, including:
- Feasibility studies to support applications for funding water or waste disposal projects
- Preliminary design and engineering analysis
- Technical assistance for the development of an application for financial assistance
Eligible projects include planning costs to:
- Construct, enlarge, extend, or improve rural water, sanitary sewage, solid waste disposal, and storm wastewater disposal facilities
- Construct or relocate public buildings, roads, bridges, fences or utilities, and to make other public improvements necessary for the successful operation or protection of facilities
- Relocate private buildings, roads, bridges, fences, or utilities, and other private improvements necessary for the successful operation or protection of facilities
Eligible applicants are:
- State and local governments
- Nonprofit organizations
- Federally recognized tribes
Eligible areas must be rural and financially distressed, and meet the criteria below.
- Be a rural area with a population of 2,500 or less
- Have a median household income below the poverty line or less than 80% of the statewide non-metropolitan median household income based on latest Census data
Up to 100% of the eligible costs, not to exceed $30,000, based on the Code of Federal Regulations. (Title 7, Part 1774)
Contact the appropriate state contacts to begin the application process. Applications are accepted by the state offices year round.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.