Strategic Economic and Community Development Program
Strategic Economic and Community Development (SECD) is a program that allows USDA to give priority for projects that support the implementation of regional economic development plans through several USDA Rural Development funding programs:
- Community Facilities Direct Loan and Grant Program
- Community Facilities Guaranteed Loan Program
- Water and Waste Revolving Loan Funds
- Water and Waste Disposal Loan and Grant Program
- Water and Waste Disposal Loan Guarantees
- Business and Industry Loan Guarantee Program
- Rural Business Development Grants
- Community Connect Broadband Grants
Consideration for regional development priority will be based on how well the project supports a multi-jurisdictional plan (called the Strategic Community Investment Plan) and how well the plan addresses collaboration and investments from other federal and philanthropic agencies.
Key program priorities include:
- Assisting rural communities recover economically from the impacts of the COVID–19 pandemic, particularly disadvantaged communities
- Ensuring all rural residents have equitable access to USDA-Rural Development programs and benefits from Rural Development funded projects
- Reducing climate pollution and increasing resilience to the impacts of climate change through economic support to rural communities
To be eligible for SECD, a project must:
- Be eligible for the underlying USDA funding program
- Be carried out solely in a rural area
- Support a multi-jurisdictional strategic economic community development plan
This is not a funding program. It is an application process to request priority points for specific USDA funding programs.
The most recent application guidelines are available in the Federal Register.
Applicants who are applying through a loan guarantee program may submit forms under the OneRD Guarantee Loan Initiative application guidelines.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.