Rural Project Examples: Leadership
Other Project Examples
Leadership Development Program
Updated/reviewed March 2021
- Need: Reasonably-priced leadership education was needed for professional development of healthcare organization managers in southeastern Idaho and western Wyoming.
- Intervention: Creation of a health network providing leadership training opportunities for member hospitals.
- Results: Increased leadership and managerial quality, and decreased professional development costs for rural hospitals of southeastern Idaho and western Wyoming.
Chuuk Women's Council Diabetes Prevention Program
Updated/reviewed December 2019
- Need: A way to improve health of women in Chuuk, one of 4 states that make up the Federated States of Micronesia.
- Intervention: The Chuuk Women's Council offers a program that educates and trains women to prevent and manage diabetes, and adopt healthy lifestyles.
- Results: The program's goal of gaining 30 participants in its second year has been exceeded. Participants have lost weight, been referred to needed medical services, and are training others in diabetes education.
Together With Veterans Rural Suicide Prevention Program
Added December 2019
- Need: Suicide among veterans has been steadily increasing, and rural veterans have a 20% increased risk of death by suicide compared to urban veterans.
- Intervention: A program called Together With Veterans was formed to help rural communities address and prevent suicides among veterans. The initiative is veteran-led, collaborative, evidence-based, and community-centered.
- Results: The program is currently in 6 states and reaches over 1,500 veterans every quarter while nurturing connections between agencies and community members.
Together for Beaufort County
Updated/reviewed September 2019
- Need: A community-wide collaborative process to identify and address specific quality-of-life challenges confronting the citizens of Beaufort County, South Carolina.
- Intervention: Together for Beaufort County facilitates the coordination of nearly 2 dozen coalitions that address economic, social, health, educational, and environmental factors through data sharing and goal setting of like-minded community agencies.
- Results: Out of 46 counties in South Carolina, Beaufort County has reached the top ranking in health outcomes.
For examples from other sources, see: