Illinois Underserved Physician Workforce (UPW) Loan Repayment Program
The Illinois Underserved Physician Workforce (UPW) Loan Repayment Program offers funding to assist communities in recruiting physicians to their nonprofit healthcare facilities in Heath Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs) in Illinois. Practice location sites register and agree to sponsor any provider who wishes to be considered for the program. Providers may apply for loan repayment in return for service at an approved site for at least 2 years.
To receive loan repayment assistance, applicants must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Not be a current participant in any other service obligated loan repayment or scholarship program
- Be licensed to practice medicine in Illinois as a general internist, family practice physician, general pediatrician, internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, general surgeon, or emergency medicine physician
- Practice at an approved nonprofit medical facility in a HPSA in Illinois
- Participate as a provider in the Medicare, Medicaid, and Children's Health Insurance Program
- Agree to see and treat all patients at the nonprofit medical facility regardless of the patient's ability to pay for service
Up to $50,000 based on the total amount of the applicant's qualified educational loans.
Participants are required to enter into a minimum 2 year contract for full-time service or 4 year contract for half-time service.
Links to the online applications for practice sites and providers are available on the program website.
For complete information about funding programs, including your application status, please contact funders directly. Summaries are provided for your convenience only. RHIhub does not take part in application processes or monitor application status.