Rural Project Examples: Interprofessional training of the health workforce
Other Project Examples
Rural Experiences for Health Professions Students (REHPS)
Updated/reviewed July 2023
- Need: An ongoing shortage of healthcare providers in rural areas of South Dakota
- Intervention: A 4-week summer program placing health professions students in rural communities.
- Results: Of graduating participants, 71% practice in South Dakota with 30% of those graduates practicing in rural communities with populations fewer than 10,000, or veteran facilities.
Health Profession Rural Summer Immersion Program
Updated/reviewed June 2023
- Need: To expose medical and physician assistant students to rural healthcare practices and a rural lifestyle.
- Intervention: A two-week immersion program for second-year students to experience rural healthcare and rural life in Connecticut and New York.
- Results: In post-program evaluations from 2016 to 2018, 50% of students reported being very likely to practice in a rural setting, compared to just over 10% of students before the program.
Right Side Up Falls Prevention
Updated/reviewed March 2023
- Need: Falling is one of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality in adults over the age of 65.
- Intervention: The Right Side Up program was implemented in rural Otter Tail County to address the prevention and management of falls and risk for falls through in-home assessments given by interdisciplinary healthcare professionals and students.
- Results: Short-term outcomes revealed 100% of participants found the visit and recommendations for falls prevention to be helpful, and 78% implemented these recommendations.
For examples from other sources, see: