Rural Project Examples: Nurse practitioners and other advanced practice registered nurses
Other Project Examples
Rural Experiences for Health Professions Students (REHPS)
Updated/reviewed July 2023
- Need: An ongoing shortage of healthcare providers in rural areas of South Dakota
- Intervention: A 4-week summer program placing health professions students in rural communities.
- Results: Of graduating participants, 71% practice in South Dakota with 30% of those graduates practicing in rural communities with populations fewer than 10,000, or veteran facilities.
Updated/reviewed October 2022
- Need: Rural school children lack proper healthcare resources within the school setting.
- Intervention: Health-e-Schools provides health services to students via telehealth using video conferencing and special equipment.
- Results: Health-e-Schools increases access to primary healthcare, increases attendance in the classroom, and decreases the amount of time that parents or guardians must take off of work to bring their child to health-related appointments.
Updated/reviewed March 2021
- Need: Assistance for urban and rural physicians — as well as other healthcare providers — who are experiencing burnout and other issues associated with well-being.
- Intervention: As part of its provider well-being focus in its rural and urban facilities, Avera Health system has created a program which attends to physician wellness issues starting with recruitment with continued support through retirement.
- Results: With increasing engagement due to word of mouth, the program creates a culture of wellness where stigma is decreased and providers are encouraged to be proactive in reaching out for assistance for issues related to their personal and professional well-being.
For examples from other sources, see: