Mississippi Models and Innovations
These stories feature model programs and successful rural projects that can serve as a source of ideas. Some of the projects or programs may no longer be active. Read about the criteria and evidence-base for programs included.
Updated/reviewed December 2017
- Need: Cancer patients living in the Deep South encounter multiple barriers in accessing regular cancer treatment.
- Intervention: The University of Alabama at Birmingham Comprehensive Cancer Center developed a program that uses lay patient navigators to support and direct patients to appropriate resources to overcome barriers to accessing care.
- Results: The program has become a model for improving cancer care quality, decreasing unnecessary utilization (ER visits and hospitalizations), removing barriers to care, and enhancing patient satisfaction.
Updated/reviewed June 2017
- Need: To improve the mental health of students in rural, east central Mississippi.
- Intervention: An intensive community mental health outreach program was implemented for eighth graders in a nine-county area in Mississippi.
- Results: Students improved their ability to recognize mental health issues (high risk behaviors) and their self-concept.
Other Project Examples
Updated/reviewed August 2018
- Need: To increase access to specialty care for rural veterans with HIV.
- Intervention: The Telehealth Collaborative Care (TCC) study connects these patients with HIV specialists via telehealth and works to create shared care relationships with primary care teams in rural areas.
- Results: TCC provides HIV specialty care to 600 rural veterans in Georgia and Texas and has expanded to include Indiana, Ohio, and Mississippi.
Updated/reviewed July 2018
- Need: Many rural areas in Mississippi lacked adequate access to specialty healthcare services such as emergency medicine, stroke neurology, pediatric specialists and psychiatrists.
- Intervention: The University of Mississippi Medical Center created the Center for Telehealth to deliver quality specialty services through telehealth video conferencing and remote monitoring tools to the underserved areas of Mississippi.
- Results: The program has been successfully implemented throughout many of the state's rural hospitals and has reduced transfers and geographic barriers for patients.
Updated/reviewed January 2018
- Need: A model that integrates primary care and mental health for rural residents in northeast Mississippi.
- Intervention: LIFECORE Health Group created an integrated care delivery model that meets the mental health and primary care needs of children and adolescents who suffer from severe emotional disturbances and adults who suffer from chronic behavioral health disorders or chemical dependency.
- Results: LIFECORE's integrated model has become a sustainable approach to health, reducing the amount of hospital stays and increasing patient compliance, utilization of LIFECORE services, health outcomes of patients with chronic diseases, and facility revenue.
Added December 2017
- Need: To reduce patients' risk of diabetes and heart disease in rural southwest Mississippi.
- Intervention: A program based on the CDC's National Diabetes Prevention Program helps participants with cardiometabolic syndrome reduce at least 7% of their body weight and normalize blood pressure and glucose through lifestyle modifications.
- Results: In 2016, 22 program graduates lost a total of 300 pounds. As of November 2017, this year's 50 participants collectively have lost over 500 pounds and reduced blood pressure levels.
Added October 2017
- Need: A way to recognize Mississippi healthcare professionals and medical students for their rural-specific experience and expertise.
- Intervention: The Mississippi Rural Health Association created 2 certifications that recognize rural health experience and also foster a greater understanding of rural-specific policies, regulations, and needs in the healthcare field.
- Results: Fellowship recipients receive statewide recognition for the time and dedication they have put into improving rural health in Mississippi.
Last Updated: 8/1/2018